Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] testing and Sudbury Valley

From: Woty <woty_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Fri Feb 11 10:38:00 2005

The laws are even worse for homeschoolers in North Carolina.
Homeschooled children are legally required to take a nationally
recognized standardized test *every* year. They don't have to pass it,
but there are no exceptions. North Carolina also doesn't 16 year olds
to have driver's licenses if they're not in school unless they get a
GED.

Trying to start a charter school in North Carolina is also not a viable
option. The department of public instruction *will* make it impossible
to do anything nonstandard. I've heard that a charter high school which
tried to use A-levels instead of a standard American high school
diploma was not allowed to do so. I also know from my own experience
with charter schools in North Carolina that the state keeps adding new
regulations which make it very difficult to be innovative in *any* way.
They even now require the state's (terrible) final exams to count for
25% of a student's grade in high school classes which have such exams.

I think the situation for private schools might be better in Virginia.
(It's distinctly worse for homeschoolers, though.)

~Woty