Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] testing and Sudbury Valley

From: Lori Mortimer <lori_at_lorimortimer.com>
Date: Fri Feb 11 09:16:00 2005

I don't have any suggestions for you, but I thought I'd just comment that
the fact that some states are regulating private schools to the point where
they're mandating testing seems not only contrary to the point of having
private schools in the first place, but also scary in a Big Brother kind of
way.

Out of curiosity, does NC have similar rules for homeschooled kids? If not,
then maybe your students would have to declare themselves homeschoolers, in
spite of the fact that they were attending your school, just to avoid the
legal requirements of testing?

I guess I did have a suggestion after all!

Good luck,

Lori

At 08:40 AM 2/11/2005, Caren Knox-Hundley wrote:
> The students have to pass with a minimum grade or they are automatically
> held back. I was hoping there were exceptions to this rule, but there
> are not. Even private religious schools have to comply with this.

Lori Mortimer -- Writing & Instructional Design
http://www.lorimortimer.com

Leadership and Literacy Foundation
http://www.leadershipandliteracy.org/

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he
hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music he hears, however
measured or far away."

-- Henry David Thoreau