[Discuss-sudbury-model] testing and Sudbury Valley

From: Caren Knox-Hundley <carenkh_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Fri Feb 11 08:41:01 2005

Hello -

I am interested in starting a SV school here in Charlotte, and I'm currently working with the group in Asheville to get one started there. One issue that I have come across is testing. In North Carolina, there are end-of-grade tests at grades 3, 6, 9, and 11. The students have to pass with a minimum grade or they are automatically held back. I was hoping there were exceptions to this rule, but there are not. Even private religious schools have to comply with this.

One way I thought of to handle this was, because there are no grade levels in Sudbury schools, to just make the tests available, and if a student wanted to take one, they could, in whatever grade they wanted.

I do not know the consequences if testing is not done, maybe the school would not be accredited. (Then would the students who attended be considered truant?)

I am ordering a start-up kit soon, and will then have access to those archives, but until then -- if someone has started a school in a state with similar laws, how do you handle it? Does anyone have thoughts or ideas about it?

Thanks for your input -

Gassho -
Caren
in Charlotte, NC