Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Sudbury Model outside schools

From: Frederick W. Schueler <bckcdb_at_istar.ca>
Date: Mon Dec 13 12:05:00 2004

"I" wrote:

> Thanks for your help on this.

* and also thanks to Jennifer Blair, whose links to worker co-ops I
overlooked.

I meant to add, from opur particular angle on this, the links to the
non-coersive governance Debra Burleson observed at the Nova Scotia
Museum http://www.museums.ca/publications/muse/1997/spring97/burles.htm
- one of the great Canadian natural history museums. There's a striking
convergence between these methods and the methods Aleta & I have
generalized (though embedded in hierarchical structures) from our years
of observing museum life, especially at the National Museum of Canada at
the Beamish Building, 1970-1990. These are outlined at
http://pinicola.ca/m2002b.htm though we don't emphasise any particular
governance system there (ideally, now that we're conversant with
'subbury-talk' a governing 'museum meeting', which elects a director,
with oversight by a Board) since we were hoping to reform the governance
at the Eastern Ontario Biodiversity Museum.

I might also mention that we're always on the lookout for apprentices in
art/natural history/conservation, and that since 1989 we've sort of run
a de facto Sudbury Valley School here, and that anyone looking for
non-coersive instruction in these fields is welcome to correspond with
us about apprenticing. See http://pinicola.ca/apprent.htm and the other
rather chaotically-linked pages at our site.

thanks again,

fred.
           Bishops Mills Natural History Centre
Frederick W. Schueler, Aleta Karstad, Jennifer Helene Schueler
     (613)258-3107 <bckcdb@istar.ca> http://pinicola.ca
subscribe to the Eastern Ontario Natural History list-serve
by sending "subscribe eobm-nat" in the body of a message to
<majordomo_at_mail2.storm.ca>