Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] On mathematics...

From: Karen Locke <klocke_at_mn.rr.com>
Date: Tue Dec 7 19:06:01 2004

Richard,

I've only been to a few Montessori schools, but I think they have a big thing about orderliness. You take out all these materials, but you need to put them back properly. Thus, the teacher needed to "explain" that to the kids, model it, etc. before they could do it. In fact, I once heard an explanation that Montessori's purpose was to bring order to the "wild" Italian personality, and Steiner's purpose was to bring creativity to stolid Germans. I always privately thought that perhaps Sudbury's purpose was then to bring democracy to American children. I can dream, can't I?

I'm not sure how I feel about Montessori schools. I think sometimes they can be anal -you have to completely do all the "explorations", etc. I'd investigate and try to visit during the day and see how free children really were.

Karen