RE: [Discuss-sudbury-model] On mathematics...

From: wmvh <vivalaarte_at_excite.com>
Date: Mon Dec 6 20:48:01 2004

 We all use math every day. And math is certainly a part of art. As an art teacher in a public school I am constantly refering to the other disciplines. Line, shape, measurement, proportion, scale, etc., and if using american system of measurement, subtraction addition, multiplication, and division of fractions. Science is also a part. From talking about pigments to discussing electromagnetic radiation and how and why we see color.

Artists don't just think intuitively, they also build objects and build structure within their artwork. I try to show my students that math is a tool/skill just as the creative problem solving of personal expression is a tool/skill that transfers to other activities beyond painting and drawing.

William Van Horn
http://inmystudio.net