Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Re: Discuss-sudbury-model digest, Vol 1 #214 - 8 msgs

From: Karen Locke <klocke_at_mn.rr.com>
Date: Sun Dec 5 12:09:01 2004

Thank you for writing your unedited text. I liked that it shows how
eloquent one can be even while needing help with mechanical (i.e. spelling)
things. And it shows people how little "necessary" skills can matter in
being successful in life.

One thing that Sudbury schools do is to bring up questions about relative
worth - of subjects taught, of methods of education, even sometimes of
people and their thoughts. I was in a homeschool group based on SVS ideas,
and I saw firsthand how difficult it was for people to think of different
studies (e.g. hanging out with friends) being equal to others (studying a
grammar book, for example). It really is an outrageous concept, and one
that holds out hope for letting people learn to relax and be themselves.

Karen