RE: [Discuss-sudbury-model] How to start a school?

From: Scott David Gray <sgray_at_sudval.org>
Date: Fri Dec 3 13:16:01 2004

On Fri, 3 Dec 2004, Brian King, Big Rock Sudbury School wrote:

> How do you answer that in an email - hum
>

> How to start a Sudbury Modeled school in a bunch of steps.
> * Read all of the books out there
> * Get the Startup kit from SVS

A good place to begin, is to read Starting a Sudbury School
http://www.sudval.org/02_book_09.html from the SVS press.

If you make a decision to go forward before the end of the
holiday season, you can take advantgae of a serious discount
on the starter kits. The starter kit includes over $800 of
books and tapes, as well as invaluable samples of legal
documents and forms that have been scrutinized by lawyers
which other schools have found can be easily modified for
their needs. The kit normally retails for $500, but this
season everything the SVS press sells is discounted 20%, so
you can get the kit for $400 -- or considerably less than
half the retail value of the collection.

> * Get on the demstart list
> * Give up your day job
> * Get likeminded people that truly understand the model to commit
> to paying to send their kids to the school (the kids also need to be
> likeminded and understand the model)
> * Get some quality likeminded people that truly understand the
> model (that can work together) to spend a week at SVS then commit to
> working without pay

There are also a number of Sudbury Model schools that may be
closer to you, if they are willing to accommodate visits;
Sudbury Valley is probably about 2500 miles away from
Phoenix.

Cedarwood in Santa Clara California, Diablo Valley in
Concord California, Sacramento Valley School in Sacramento
Californa, and Big Rock Sudbury in San Rafael California are
probably between 700 and 750 miles away from you. Sego Lily
in Utah is probably just over 800 miles from you. Alpine
Valley in Colorado and Brazos Valley in Texas and probably
less than 1200 miles away from you.

--

--Scott David Gray
reply to: sgray_at_sudval.org
http://www.unseelie.org/
... Another writer again agreed with all my generalities,
but said that as an inveterate skeptic I have closed my
mind to the truth.  Most notably I have ignored the
evidence for an Earth that is six thousand years old.
Well, I haven't ignored it; I considered the purported
evidence and *then* rejected it.  There is a difference,
and this is a difference, we might say, between prejudice
and postjudice.  Prejudice is making a judgment before you
have looked at the facts.  Postjudice is making a judgment
afterwards.  Prejudice is terrible, in the sense that you
commit injustices and you make serious mistakes. Postjudice
is not terrible.  You can't be perfect of course; you may
make mistakes also.  But it is permissible to make a
judgment after you have examined the evidence.  In some
circles it is even encouraged.
-- Carl Sagan