Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Newbie with Question

From: Karen Locke <klocke_at_mn.rr.com>
Date: Wed Dec 1 21:20:00 2004

I feel like I need to hop on the answer train here because my son began
trumpet lessons in gradeschool too. He had a lot of trouble, but being a
music teacher I also knew that he was somewhat talented and could do well if
he continued. However, I resisted pressuring him at all. He gave it up and
was very happy about it..

 Then about 4 years later he decided he wanted to play electric guitar.
That interest DID "stick". He played on and off,, not always practicing
every day or week, but sometimes working a lot at it.

Now he's 21 years old. He has his guitar out a lot-he owns a house (he
evidently has stick-to-it-ive-ness enough to make his payments, work part
time, and go to college) and he hosts "jams" with other musicians.

My observation of unschooling, is that we parents are the ones that need to
be schooled in relaxing and learning to stand back and watch them grow. It
is very hard, but very worth it!

Karen