[Discuss-sudbury-model] Newbie with Question

From: Mary Torgersen <Mary_Torgersen_at_avid.com>
Date: Wed Dec 1 13:42:00 2004

Hello All,

I absolutely love reading all the posts on this list. What a very interesting and passionate group! I am just thinking about Sudbury Valley for my 9 year old son. One of my concerns is that my son will not attempt things that he finds difficult. Even things he likes, like football, he is not willing or able to do his time to become better. For example, he wanted to take trumpet lessons
(totally his idea). He was so excited. He immediately realized it was "hard" and has ceased practicing. Now he has fallen behind and unless I start mandating practice, I know he will not ever learn to play this instrument.

So, my question is obvious at this point. How would he fare in the Sudbury Valley model? Sometimes I feel that the only reason he has learned as much math, science, and writing as he has is that he is required to do so in public school. If it were not required, I fear he would never be willing to work hard. Never gain the discipline to master things, but perhaps always just do enough to get by. Are some people just by nature like this? Or will everyone, given the space and time, come to master the things that are important to them.

Thanks
Mary