Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Re: Discuss-sudbury-model digest, Vol 1 #214 - 8 msgs

From: Todd Pratum <knowledge_at_pratum.com>
Date: Tue Nov 30 15:57:00 2004
My last communiqué:  To be clear Dr. Hughes, I was not questioning your intelligence!  There have been entire civilizations built without a written language at all (Native American, African, etc).  It is not a measurement of intelligence, or accomplishment.  That is not what I was saying.  Apparently literature is something far different for me than it is for Sudbury people.  Please, I am sorry for the whole thing, my apologies.  Todd Pratum.

evanhughes@juno.com wrote:
      At no disrespect to the list members, I will not use spell check for this e-mail so you can see what my english looks like first hand.

Interesting post Todd,
     The english language is an art form which has many facets.  Obviously, I have not found it nessassary or usefull to develop the literary facet you concider so important.  I have found time and time again that meaning, content and clear expression of my vision is all that is requiered to communicate with my fellow man(And woman.)
     Honistly, if I cared about your evaluation regarding my writtings(Which I don't,) I would find a friend, employee or colegue to add their skills/ability to my work.  In this case, meaning and content are enough.
     "which was full of so many errors and gross violations of English
that I wondered, Dr. Hughes, if you have a learning disability?"
      I am sure that within the confines of traditional thinking I would have a learning disability(Dislexia for sure.  Most likely ADHD.)  Now for those people still new to this topic, this is what my "disability" has brought me:  I tutored Anatomy and Physiology in undergrad.  I taught chiropractic technique and philosophy at Life University.  Out of 214 poeple who entered my class to become a doctor by march 2004, I am one of five who graduated on time. I passed all 4 parts of the chiropractic national board first time around.  I speak Japanese, and have lived there for a time to teach....drum roll please.... ENGLISH.  I've been on local TV twice to talk about my work, and had an article written about a health talk I give regarding chiropractic and physiology (In English.)  I have a black belt in Kenpo, teach Tai-chi and blah blah blah the list goes on.
     Todd, would you define for me what "disability" means, and tell me how my life would improve by filling the void in my ability to articulate by your standerts... if you can make a good case, I will take time to improve what your write about.

     It really bugs me when people say SVS is for special children.  I have never met a child that was not special, have any of you?
     There is no such thing as disability!  There is only Ability to various levels.

Dr. Evan