Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Sudbury & literacy

From: Frederick W. Schueler <bckcdb_at_istar.ca>
Date: Tue Nov 30 00:20:00 2004

Todd Pratum wrote:

> What happened to the beauty and style and elegance of the hand written letter? And email is not, in my estimation an improved form of communication, yet it has nearly replaced the tradition of letter writing. Todd.

* think of e-mail as restoring Victorian standards of postal service -
and for the whole globe where it only covered southern England in the
Victorian era. Before e-mail I wrote about 50 letters/year and now I
average about 3600, right up there with James Murray, Darwin, and the
other heros of Victorian correspondence. Beauty and style and elegance
in writing are not just the product of study, but also of practice - and
they were saying on the Radio this afternoon that even captive-schooled
kids use the internet mostly to write messages.

fred.
           Bishops Mills Natural History Centre
Frederick W. Schueler, Aleta Karstad, Jennifer Helene Schueler
     (613)258-3107 <bckcdb@istar.ca> http://pinicola.ca
subscribe to the Eastern Ontario Natural History list-serve
by sending "subscribe eobm-nat" in the body of a message to
<majordomo_at_mail2.storm.ca>