Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Sudbury & literacy

From: Todd Pratum <knowledge_at_pratum.com>
Date: Mon Nov 29 23:23:00 2004
Dear Sudbury List,
   I have been castigated here in very clear terms, and I am open minded enough to admit that maybe I have been rude, though in no way did I intend my post to be so!  It was not a personal attack as I don't know the man at all!  My post was meant to open an avenue of discussion, not to hurt anyone.  I criticized his use of language, a skill that I find very important in the discussion of education!  I thought this was a critical exchange of ideas, not a cheering squad.  Then to have my post criticized for my grammatical errors but the previous error filled postings fly by without any notice taken--that is real irony.

   All I am trying to say is that language is (in part) a tool to explore the universe and report back your findings (if you so please), like a car is used to travel to distant lands, or your legs to get around.  Language skills are not some elective art form. Bad driving causes accidents, weak legs limit your mobility.  If one is born blind or with bad feet then obviously that is not their fault!  But I fear the hostility I have brought upon myself with my posting means I have misunderstood something here, my apologies for my ignorance.

  It was also not clear from my post that I am a very devoted supporter of the ideas behind Sudbury.  Sudbury is revolutionary.  I can find almost nothing I don't fully agree with in Sudbury publications, especially those by Mr. Greenberg, whose writings I discovered about 15 years ago and have been with me ever since.

  I also agree with the first poster that email is a relative form of communication, i.e. relative in respect to the amount of time spent crafting it.  But if we rarely craft our language, then doesn't that lower the quality of our communication, if not our very thinking?

  Sincerely, and remorsefully, Todd Pratum.