RE: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Sudbury & literacy

From: Alan Klein <alan_at_klein.net>
Date: Mon Nov 29 20:43:00 2004

Uh, Todd, at the risk of belaboring the obvious, let's look at your posting
in terms of the "language skills" you yourself utilize:

1. Your posting is written as one paragraph, yet clearly contains what ought
to be many paragraphs.

2. What does "...then I would might feel the same way..." mean?

3. With the possible exception of the opening of Star Trek, I believe that
the prohibition on splitting infinitives is still in force. ("to not
encourage")

4. Is "Or only for those naturally gifted?" a complete sentence?

5. " (B)ookdealer" is not a word. It is two words.

6. Commas don't generally come immediately before parentheses, as in
"...educational success, (for example...".

7. You wrote "with only a small elect...". Did you mean a "small elite"?

Anyway, I hope you get my "glass houses and stone throwing" meaning.

To answer your questions, I would say that no one needs to impress upon kids
the importance of literacy. It is right before their eyes, all the time. In
the same vein, we don't need to apply social pressure toward the end of
achieving literacy. In fact, that would be (and is) counter-productive. (I
also don't believe that we need social pressure for people to learn not to
steal, etc., but that is not the subject of this posting.)

In the final analysis, I see the democratic schooling position on literacy
skills to be that they are but some of many important skills that kids will
learn in their own time and in their own way because of their very
importance! How could they not (unless impediments are placed in their way!)

~Alan Klein