Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Where to begin?

From: Caren Knox-Hundley <carenkh_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Mon Nov 29 11:44:00 2004

It seems like it would be inherently impossible to utilize the Sudbury model in any type of "traditional school" setting -- Montessori or not. You can tell your daughter she will learn math when she needs it and wants to, but until then, there will be consequences for her not learning it now, but it seems like those consequences would only undermine her belief in her own ability to learn at her own pace. I don't see how anyone can participate in a school (other than democratic/free) and live the values of Sudbury Valley. They would continually be getting messages (from the school, teacher, and peers) that they were not OK, and they will not be OK until they fit in.

Take her out! Until you find a democratic school in your area, or one you want to move to, unschool with her! Someone previously mentioned unschooling -- there are many, many resources and lots of support out there. As far as integrating freedom into the "real world" of responsibilities... unless the school itself is a free school, it ain't gonna support that. The model of kids following a set curriculum at a set time is too ingrained. Here in NC, we have end-of-grade tests in 3rd, 6th and 11th grades. If the kids don't pass the test, they don't move on to the next grade -- so everything, everything is now geared toward these tests -- AND annual tests that kids must pass in order to prove the school is doing its job. There is NO WAY they're going to hear anything about the Sudbury Valley model. SO, I pulled my oldest son out to unschool with him after the 2nd grade four years ago, and now his younger brother is with him, and we are beginning the beginning work to start a democratic school here in Cha
rlotte. (Saving to get the kit from SVS)

Best of luck -

Caren
in Charlotte, NC