Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] On mathematics...

From: Naomi Bennett <morninghood_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun Nov 28 22:00:00 2004

I have
> never met a human being unable to do calculus, only
> ones afraid to.-R

And then there are the ones who are just not
interested at that point in their lives. I went
through 13 years of SVS, and I strongly believe that
children should be encouraged to learn what they are
interested in, and not forced into learning. That's
something you learn in college, if you choose to go.
And that's a whole separate set of skills that can
completely ruin any sort of learning if it happens at
too early an age.

And who is to say that math is any more important that
writing, art, dance, photography, history, theatre.

And by the way, I have studied and tutored math in
college, and have no interest or use for it now except
in a practical sense. But others could say the same
for Theatrical studies, which is part of my everyday
life and livelyhood.

It's not for us to choose what should be important and
interesting for others.

Naomi
SVS Alum '83-'96