Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] On mathematics...

From: Ryan Singer <ryan.singer_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun Nov 28 18:58:00 2004

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 18:46:48 -0500, Carol Hughes <hughes0005_at_comcast.net> wrote:
> Hi Ryan,
> It's interesting to me that the responses are about adult individual
> experiences with math. What do you think would be a good tack for this
> child? I have an eight year old voice student who is learning the Major

Math is pretty easy to teach if the child wants to learn. I would
just get a whiteboard and an algebra textbook and start working
problems from the "homework" section of the book. Work one with the
child, then feed him another almost exactly like it. If he gets it on
his own, move on, if he doesn't, help him with that one and then do
another exactly like it. repeat for each section of the h-w, repeat
for each chapter. At that rate, I went through the Algebra textbook
(supposedly a year of schooling) in two days with my sister. After
that we did trig, and then precalc, and then calculus. Really all you
need is a large list of pregenerated homework problems and some free
time. Never assign the problems, work through each kind. I have
never met a human being unable to do calculus, only ones afraid to.-R

--
Ryan Singer