Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] On mathematics...

From: Carol Hughes <hughes0005_at_comcast.net>
Date: Sun Nov 28 18:47:01 2004

Hi Ryan,
It's interesting to me that the responses are about adult individual
experiences with math. What do you think would be a good tack for this
child? I have an eight year old voice student who is learning the Major
General song from the Pirates of Penzance. I think he's going to be ready
for his first year of college by the age of 9, because he wants to know the
meanings of all the lyrics, which I am teaching him. He has superb voice
and a brilliant inquisitive mind. Ironically the won't teach him as much
math as he would like at school. i think it's a dang shame.
  "I am the very model of a modern Major-General,
  I've information vegetable, animal, and mineral,
  I know the kings of England, and I quote the fights historical
  From Marathon to Waterloo, in order categorical;
  I'm very well acquainted, too, with matters mathematical,
  I understand equations, both the simple and quadratical,
  About binomial theorem I'm teeming with a lot o' news,
  With many cheerful facts about the square of the hypotenuse.

               I'm very good at integral and differential calculus;
  I know the scientific names of beings animalculous:
  In short, in matters vegetable, animal, and mineral,
  I am the very model of a modern Major-General.

               I know our mythic history, King Arthur's and Sir Caradoc's;
  I answer hard acrostics, I've a pretty taste for paradox,
  I quote in elegiacs all the crimes of Heliogabalus,
  In conics I can floor peculiarities parabolous;"
So, I'll shut up now. I just can't stand to see a child's sense of self
questioned, ever.
Carol