Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Where to begin?

From: Carol Hughes <hughes0005_at_comcast.net>
Date: Sun Nov 28 18:34:00 2004

HI JoLynne,
I never ever discouraged my kids from any subject, but if they were struggling with how they felt about themselves, then you bet I stressed that who they were was more important than absolutely any subject. How many of us have regrets about something we wish we had applied ourselves to more somewhere along the line? It is also part of life to question the values you were raised with. You may be a better math learner now because of your life experience. All knowledge is linked in some way, and yes I have seen the correlations of math and music on a daily basis. I am a teacher/performer of music. My focus with my answer was not on math, but rather on this child. I see the results of negative experiences in school on little children's psyche's every day as I teach music. The timing and pacing of the learning process is individual. It is sooooooo important.
Thanks,
Carol