Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] On mathematics...

From: Carol Hughes <hughes0005_at_comcast.net>
Date: Sun Nov 28 18:16:00 2004

Darren,
Keep your shirt on. Nowhere do I say that mathematics is not a worthwhile subject. I believe it is not necessary for every student to learn it in depth. Neither do I think you need to play the piano and sing, or be a scintillating speaker/writer in order to have a balanced and meaningful life. For the record, I loved math in school. I have worked in private banking with lots of zeros and managed billionaire's portfolios. I'm old enough that I studied the "new" math in college. I find that often, some of my bright piano students are also good at math. The relationships of sound and keys and notes etc. is very mathematical and logical. I do however, believe that fundamentally all academically presented subject matter is an abstract thing. Of course some of SVS students have gone on to excel in math, because they were free to pursue their passion, and a wonderful one it is. And please don't get me started on history books. I in no way intend to bash the sciences and math. My son is a Chiropractor and had to take a jillion anatomy and physiology courses. What I hoped to convey in my message is that negative commentary and bashing of a student is the myth and stereotype that should be demolished. And in point of fact, I do have a crystal ball and know how to use it. Don't want a war, I just can't stand by and watch a child get labeled and marked for failure at an age when she should be feeling totally magical. Chilton-Pierce's books - Crack in the Cosmic Egg, and The Magical Child are where I'm coming from here. So finally, math is beautiful, and this little girl may find that out someday if they don't make her want to run every time it's mentioned.
Carol

Hi All,

  At the risk of starting a war, I can't begin to say how troubling it is to hear and read various statements made about mathematics as if "it" is some kind of demon. Just like singing, studying bacteria, re-building car blocks, writing poetry, and so, mathematics is a deeply human ACTIVITY. It can be and is something beautiful that people can and do engage in. The continued "utilitarian" framing of it only continues to suggest that it as something that some people can do and the rest of society doesn't really *need* it. The notion that it is some kind of abstract "thing" is a kind of perversion, easily debunked.

  Sadly, most people simply will never have the same measure of appreciation of mathematics. Moreover, I might point out that one of SVS's very own students has gone on to become a professor of mathematics. Carol, I might say that just because *you* have managed to get through life "without knowing squat about math" (if one might deduce such a thing from your comments below), does not mean that the same could be said for others. Suggesting that one does not "need" something, even implicitly and subtly, is just as much an act of coercion as something much more explicit (like deliberately not including books on algebra, arithmetic, its psychology and history, for instance).

  I think that it is wonderful that we can be surrounded by people who inspire us to look at the world and jump in and do whatever really excites us and interests, but for cryin' out loud, we can really do without the negative commentary and bashing of the sciences and mathematics. These are myths and stereotypes that deserve to be demolished.

  And, last...never say never. Statements like "she...will probably never do math unless..." is so naive. What crystal ball is there that can even say such thing!?!? The FACT is, no one really knows where their learning will take them.

  For a thoughtful look at mathematics and mathematical learning/understanding, I would suggest reading Brent Davis' book called "Teaching Mathematics: Toward a Sound Alternative".

  Regards,
  Darren