Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] On mathematics...

From: Ryan Singer <ryan.singer_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun Nov 28 14:39:00 2004

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 11:08:50 -0800, Darren Stanley <rds1_at_ualberta.ca> wrote:
> At the risk of starting a war, I can't begin to say how troubling it is to
> hear and read various statements made about mathematics as if "it" is some
> kind of demon. Just like singing, studying bacteria, re-building car blocks,
> writing poetry, and so, mathematics is a deeply human ACTIVITY. It can be
> and is something beautiful that people can and do engage in.

I agree with Darren. I got into college at 16 in GA by taking
calculus there, and I still have a love for math (despite changing my
major from math to economics). For people who love pattern
recognition, higher level mathematics is like ballet. My sister came
to me with questions about Algebra that her teacher refused to answer
(because it was too far ahead of the class), and I ended up spending
the evening teaching her derivatives and integrals. Math is
incredible fun for those who take an interest in it, just like most
other traditionally "Academic" subjects.-R

--
Ryan Singer