RE: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Where to begin?

From: JoLynne Martinez <jmartinez5_at_kc.rr.com>
Date: Sun Nov 28 14:32:00 2004

My understanding from psychology (Howard Gardner's work primarily) is that
musical and mathematical intelligences are linked. Learning music is
considered to be excellent training for mathematical thinking and vice
versa.

Personally, although I don't often use math in my current life and do rely
on other people and technology to assist me in this area, I regret that I do
not know more. I was brought up in an artistic family being told I didn't
need to know math and that I was simply too artistic to be able to
understand it. I think there was also some gender bias there: It's not
feminine to know too much about math.

Now at age 44, I regret listening to all these messages. One of my personal
goals is to learn more about math, and I have been doing some reading in
this area. Surprisingly (or perhaps not so), now that I have stopped
listening to those discouraging messages, I find math isn't really that
difficult, at least what I've attempted so far. And it's fascinating.

Best wishes,

JoLynne

  _____