[Discuss-sudbury-model] On mathematics...

From: Darren Stanley <rds1_at_ualberta.ca>
Date: Sun Nov 28 14:09:00 2004

Hi All,

At the risk of starting a war, I can't begin to say how troubling it is to
hear and read various statements made about mathematics as if "it" is some
kind of demon. Just like singing, studying bacteria, re-building car blocks,
writing poetry, and so, mathematics is a deeply human ACTIVITY. It can be
and is something beautiful that people can and do engage in. The continued
"utilitarian" framing of it only continues to suggest that it as something
that some people can do and the rest of society doesn't really *need* it.
The notion that it is some kind of abstract "thing" is a kind of perversion,
easily debunked.

Sadly, most people simply will never have the same measure of appreciation
of mathematics. Moreover, I might point out that one of SVS's very own
students has gone on to become a professor of mathematics. Carol, I might
say that just because *you* have managed to get through life "without
knowing squat about math" (if one might deduce such a thing from your
comments below), does not mean that the same could be said for others.
Suggesting that one does not "need" something, even implicitly and subtly,
is just as much an act of coercion as something much more explicit (like
deliberately not including books on algebra, arithmetic, its psychology and
history, for instance).

I think that it is wonderful that we can be surrounded by people who inspire
us to look at the world and jump in and do whatever really excites us and
interests, but for cryin' out loud, we can really do without the negative
commentary and bashing of the sciences and mathematics. These are myths and
stereotypes that deserve to be demolished.

And, last...never say never. Statements like "she...will probably never do
math unless..." is so naive. What crystal ball is there that can even say
such thing!?!? The FACT is, no one really knows where their learning will
take them.

For a thoughtful look at mathematics and mathematical
learning/understanding, I would suggest reading Brent Davis' book called
"Teaching Mathematics: Toward a Sound Alternative".

Regards,
Darren

  _____