Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Where to begin?

From: Carol Hughes <hughes0005_at_comcast.net>
Date: Sun Nov 28 13:23:00 2004

Hi Susan,
It is no surprise to me that your artistic daughter doesn't care for math. Our very artistic nineteen year old daughter who is brilliant, creative, sings, plays the piano, paints, writes well and has great wisdom with human behavior will probably never do math unless it is mandated by some outside authority. Right-brain oriented people simply don't respond to the abstract,symbol oriented world. In my humble opinion, they don't need it. Peculiar learning style, or just one this teacher doesn't relate to from her limited experience in the world. A traditionally trained teacher cannot easily change their stripes. I once visited a Montesorri school with a friend of mine and my three year old in tow. When we went into the classroom my son picked up a couple of the neat looking Montesorri things. The teacher quietly took them from him and put them back. So, from that one gesture I advised my friend to look again carefully. Have you read Maria Montesorri's biography? Some of the things teachers are doing in these schools would absolutely cause her to "turn over in her grave". Make no mistake about it, a Sudbury Valley School is as real as it gets. If you can, try not to make a big deal out of the subject. Let her try it as much as she can stand and then consequences be "%^&*&^%". The decision to make certain subjects a must for children is simply arbitrary. In truth your daughter can hire a good accountant who loves numbers if she needs the service. Calculators and computers can do the rest. She can live her entire life without knowing squat about math. Man, do I hate the words "failure to perform". It's definately not okay for your daughter to be described that way. Seems to me the "failure to perform" is the school's. Keep questioning. Trust your instincts. I would lose the tutoring. Tell her the school is not equipped to deal with her way of thinking and that's okay. Making her feel like there is some kind of defect, or fire to put out will stay with her for a lifetime. Ah, but mom taking a stand and backing off on her behalf... that will stay with her for a lifetime too.
Just my opinion,
Carol