Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Where to begin?

From: Ryan Singer <ryan.singer_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun Nov 28 13:12:00 2004

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 12:01:54 -0500, susan robinson <shantiom1_at_msn.com> wrote:

> rewards and incentives, dims her. I'm looking for a frame of reference that
> builds a foundation for integrating freedom into living in the "real world"
> of responsibilities. I'd like to receive suggestions.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "real world". If real world
responsibilities include basic social contract stuff, no hitting, no
stealing, etc; then something like the sudbury model where discipline
comes from a jury of peer adds credence to it, and usually doesn't
produce anything much different then a teacher would have decided in
the first place.

If you mean by "real world", doing assignments when they are assigned
to the satisfaction of an authority figure, then I don't think that
should be something integrated into an 8 year olds life. This is her
time to learn and grow, teachers are only helpful when they facilitate
that.

I would suggest checking out http://www.springvalleyschool.com/ . It
is a school based on the sudbury model on Nebraska avenue in Palm
Harbor. Take her there for a week, see if it helps her brighten.-Ryan

--
Ryan Singer