RE: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Sudbury Model outside schools

From: Don Yates <dyates_at_yatesassociates.com>
Date: Mon Nov 15 11:11:01 2004

Hi Fred -

I have been working on ideas along these lines for some time. You might
find interesting an article we wrote that was published in the SVS Journal.
You can find it at

http://www.extraordinaryorganizations.com/Information/Information%20PDF%20ar
ticles/YatesDavis%20pdf%201.0.pdf

On that site you can also find other material bearing on the subject. Some
companies have moved some along this line, but SVS as an organization [not a
school] is the only one I know of that has fulfilled the promise of the
route. Probably the closest thing to it in the business world is
self-managed work teams. Another article you might like to read you can
find at

http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/28/ge.html

W.L. Gore Associates has an interesting culture along these lines, although
not all the way as you seem to want to go. Check them out at

http://www.gore.com/about/culture.html

Still another company part way there is St Lukes advertising agency in
London. You can read about them at:
http://www.fastcompany.com/online/06/stlukes.html

Finally, Ricardo Semler has done some very interesting things at Semco. He
has two books out: "Maverick" and "The Seven-Day Weekend - Changing the way
work works". The latter is more recent and includes more information.
Semco's url is:

http://semco.locaweb.com.br/ Once you get by the opening introduction [in
Portuguese] the home page comes up, and you get an English version by
clicking on the small flag to the lower right. The site is in three
languages.

Don Yates