Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Sudbury Model outside schools

From: Ann Ide <ann.ide_at_rcn.com>
Date: Sun Nov 14 21:25:00 2004

Hi,

I'm no expert; but I am aware that there are democratically run businesses.
I really enjoyed reading Maverick, by Ricardo Semlar. I think he is
considered a maverick in democratically run businesses. This book is his
story of turning his family owned corporation into a democratically run
business. He has a newer book out this year; but I can't remember the name.
I'm sure it would be on Amazon.com. Ricardo has also founded a version of a
democratically run school in Brazil, the Lumier school. He is getting a lot
of government support to transition more public schools than he can handle
into schools like the Lumier school.

Anyway, start with Maverick. Good luck.

Ann Ide
parent at Sudbury Valley School