[Discuss-sudbury-model] Sudbury Model outside schools

From: Frederick W. Schueler <bckcdb_at_istar.ca>
Date: Sun Nov 14 00:11:01 2004

Sudburyiers:

Does anyone have experience importing the Sudbury model into non-school
organizations? We started a regional natural history museum
which we were subsequently asked to leave, apparently
because of our promotion of democratic governance - "founded, in part,
in reaction to the damage done to Canada's national museums through the
management practices predominating in the 1980's and early 1990's.
Accordingly founded on the belief that in a museum, every
worker has a unique combination of knowledge and skills, and all can
contribute collectively to solving a wide range of problems. Deference
is granted relative to the problem under consideration and the abilities
that each brings to it, with shifting patterns of leadership in
different situations..." see http://pinicola.ca/m2002b.htm -

We're now approaching a time when reform of this hierarchical model may
be possible, and I wonder if anyone has experience in explicitly
importing the Sudbury Model of governance into such a situation?

fred.
           Bishops Mills Natural History Centre
Frederick W. Schueler, Aleta Karstad, Jennifer Helene Schueler
     (613)258-3107 <bckcdb@istar.ca> http://pinicola.ca