Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Fairhaven, "R" rating

From: Kenneth Winchenbach Walden <kenhww_at_meadowdance.org>
Date: Tue Nov 9 12:01:02 2004

On 8 Nov 2004 at 18:35, togolt2 wrote:

> What stroke me was this:
> "As far as movies and games are concerned, they are
> just portrayals, and all kids understand that and there is no more process
> than there is when reading a violent book like Sea Wolf or the Odyssey." ????
>
> I would like to know when was the last time this parent read the "Odyssey"? I
> would bet he has never read it at all - just has his castrated oppinion based
> on the movie he saw recently.
> Personally for me it is incredibly important that any adult person would be
> able to distinguish between watching R-rated movies and reading Odyssey,
> period. Now I came to question myself if Sudbury schools fullfill any
> postulated goals at all sinse they acept the children of such deeply
> stuperfected parents - that is my opinion, just some mother.

I'm not sure exactly what you are trying to say, but it seems you may have
misunderstood the original poster. I think their point was that there is violence in
many books, including The Iliad and Odyssey, and that they do not restrict violent
movies any more than they do violent books.

It seems that you read their statement to mean that there is no difference between
any old R-rated movie and the Odyssey in literary terms, but I don't believe that is
their point. However, I'm sure we could drum up somebody here who thinks that The
Odyssey has very little merit. That is a possible opinion even among those who study
literature as a calling.

Please be careful the assumptions you make. Assumptions tend to cut down on
meaningful dialogue. Here you assume a lot about what the poster was trying to say,
about how they came to that conclusion, and about how fit they are to be involved in
a school. A few questions on the topic instead may elicit the information you want.

Ken Walden