Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Fairhaven, "R" rating

From: Kathleen Stilwell <kastilwell_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue Nov 9 11:31:00 2004

Just a couple of thoughts on "R" ratings and on who may attend a Sudbury school.
As a Fairhaven parent, I don't know Joe Jackson personally, but have seen him around. He actually seems to be quite a nice person and also highly intelligent. But even if he weren't, Fairhaven would not deny his children the opportunity to attend the school. Fairhaven allows my son to attend and, as far as I know, the fact that he has imperfect parents has never been brought to the attention of the community. The possibility of our children being expelled from the community is always there -- but that would require the majority vote of the entire community, not just the administrators.

As a life-long learner, I've not yet read The Odyssey, but who knows....
There is so much to do, to see, to explore and we all must choose where we focus our attention. My own 15-year-old son focuses quite a bit of his attention on the "R" rated aspects of life. And we talk about all of it. I tell him what I think and what I choose, but he clearly knows he is not me. He understands that with each moment he is making choices about who he is and that the choosing process continues through life.

My personal experience with life has led me to place my own restrictive ratings on things I'd rather not see. Among my "R" rated experiences: schools that rate children by academic performance, schools that recommend drugging children who express who they are. But you get the point. The evening news can be an overwhelming "R" rated experience at times.

Kathleen Stilwell, Fairhaven parent