[Discuss-sudbury-model] parenting teens

From: Ann Ide <ann.ide_at_rcn.com>
Date: Thu Sep 30 14:28:00 2004

G'day,

Thanks to all of you who responded to my plea for support. You were all helpful. It helps to get out of my own head and hear other like-minded people's thoughts, too !

In different ways, I sensed that everyone was saying it all depends on your relationship with your teen. I agree. I think why my insecurity is building is because my relationship is changing. My son is appropriately starting to pull away, individuate, separate, and all that good stuff. In doing so, he is increasingly private, and home a lot less, too. I think it is even harder with sons and mothers. Don't know, though. Anyway, this leaves me in a tenuous position of trying to respect his need and right to be more private; and also being able to talk about things we need to discuss to come to mutual agreements and understandings.... so I can trust him ! Hard to trust someone you feel you know less and less.

Thanks for reminding me to breathe, do my best, forgive the mistakes, and repeat. I've done it before. I'll do it again !

Wish me luck !

Ann

PS Any further comments on the above also welcome, of course.