Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] parenting teens

From: Jennifer Blair <noise44_at_msn.com>
Date: Wed Sep 29 07:49:01 2004

On the point of curfew...
This recently came up with my 14 1/2 year old. He wants to go out late at night skateboarding and filming when, there are less people in the way, less police interference, and less cars in the parking garage where they like to skateboard. He and his friends are safe and trustworthy kids and I have always trusted them. I think sometimes the issue is not trusting other people. Basically, I was afraid that different, untrustworthy, people might be out after dark. After talking this through with my son, I realized it was a ridiculous assumption I gleaned from somewhere. I'm not sure what the point of curfew is. I know some people think its wrong for kids to be allowed out late and it might reflect on me, but I wouldn't restrict my son's freedom over my concern with appearances.

Jennifer