Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] parenting teens

From: <marctheriault_at_comcast.net>
Date: Tue Sep 28 19:38:01 2004

Ann,

All rules are based on mistrust. Otherwise we would let everyone do what
they want because we trusted them to do the right thing. If we trusted
everyone to drive safely, we wouldn't need speed limits. But, as a
society, we realise that we need to inform/compel what the maximum
(or minimum) speed is allowed based on the road's conditions. And based
on your teen's, or husband's or your own "conditions", you will also set
rules, if you feel that you or they can't be "trusted". ( I'm like that with
cake, myself ) Even God felt compelled to give Moses ten "commandments"
rather than ten "suggestions".

I would advise trusting your "gut". You may make a few mistakes along the
way but you will develop a consistency that your teen will appreciate. Plus,
the mistakes are how we aquire the background, develop the criteria and
formulate our reasoning.

As a teacher, I've spent a lot of time with students of all ages. I can give you
6 12-14 year olds that you could trust home alone taking care of your infant
child, and 6 others you wouldn't trust even if you were right there with them.
So....

1) Exhale.

2) Pay attention and do your best.

3) Forgive those who err,