Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] parenting teens

From: Ann Ide <ann.ide_at_rcn.com>
Date: Tue Sep 28 17:18:01 2004

Robin,

Perhaps if my "feelings" were as strong as yours sound to me, I would be
better able to negotiate ( I refuse to take an authoritave approach.
Everyone else's feelings count, too !). I think my problem is that I am not
secure with my decisions. I don't have the background, criteria, reasoning,
etc. for situations that are new to me. It's even harder when things come
up unexpectedly.

Would any of you ( on this list ) leave 6 12-14 year olds home alone ?
Older teens ? What about when they start driving; do you condone just
driving around ? Do you ask to know where they are at all times? If so,
why? If not, why not ? What's the point of a curfew ? All these "rules"
seem based on mistrust.

Ann