[Discuss-sudbury-model] Re: [ausschools] what you study and what you want -- the freedom to choose your own way.

From: Rodney Sarah <RVS_Industries_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Thu Sep 9 10:21:00 2004

----------
From: David Rovner <rovners_at_netvision.net.il>
To: discuss-sudbury-model_at_sudval.org, savesummerhill_at_yahoogroups.com,
ausschools_at_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [ausschools] what you study and what you want -- the freedom to
choose your own way.
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 21:53

Gal Friedman wins the Olympic
http://www.democratic-edu.org/International/News/GalGold.aspx

Coincidence? Gal Friedman - The first Israeli Olympic Gold medalist is a
graduate of the Hadera Democratic School.

A letter from Dganit Friedman, mother of Gal Friedman, published on 26
August, following the victory.
Dearest Gal, Yesterday I sat with Dad, Maayan and the rest of the family and
our friends - we watched you win the Olympic medal. You made history. I knew
you could do it, that you had the ability, but I was scared to imagine it.
Since yesterday I cannot stop thinking about Yaacov Hecht, the principal of
the Democratic School in Hadera where you went to school. He always said
that it doesn't matter what you study and what page you reach in your
workbook, that the important thing is to focus on what it is you want and to
achieve in your field of choice.
This was the educational motto we followed in raising you and your siblings
Maayan and Yuval. When you skipped school, we were not concerned, you had a
direction and you followed it. Today we are certain that your principal was
right. The small contribution we, your parents made to your gold medal was
in giving you the freedom to choose your own way.
I love you my dearest Gal and I am very proud of you and happy for you. You
stuck to your desires and made your dream come true. Since you left for
Athens I have been sending you hearts over the email and pictures of you
with your brother Yuval and girlfriend Michal. I can't wait to see and hug
you. I miss you
Mom.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT