[Discuss-sudbury-model] For Allison: How did your change happen?

From: <Hunderhill_at_aol.com>
Date: Sat Aug 28 20:53:00 2004

Allison:
I have a question. What caused you to flip from hating school to loving
school? How and why does it happen?

I'm on a teachers' list and someone recently posted the following:

from The Whole Earth Catalogue----(1970?)
"The Rising Sun Neighborhood Newsletter"

The only thing to teach is how to fall in love, how to be ready to fall in
love, what to do then to make it last, make it a lifetime thing, to teach
how to find out more about the beloved, to build something with the
beloved, within the beloved, to teach all this perhaps before love ever
happens so that when love comes, be it of caterpillars or dead painters or
wood and nails or computers that talk back, when it happens the feeling
doesn't dissipate into a hopeless infatuation----it must be wonderful to do
that, to know about that, but I can't---- but is a release of power like
real love that leads to knowing more because you know where to find it, to
cherishing and building in this love because you know that someone can tell you
how to do it and you keep looking until you find the one who can.

But others are afraid to teach love, and when they do, usually they teach
"love what I love" (change your major), not the techniques and
possibilities of taking something from the universe outside your skin,
anything from the universe outside your world, making it part of you and
helping it go on, not just be a spectator, but a doer of the thing you're
born to love. (Scholars don't do that much, libraries probably do it more
because they get out of the way and let it happen. Remember the little
kid who lived to look at Gauguin books in Goodbye Columbus.)