Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] How do you apply Sudbury model to early childhood education?

From: Karen Locke <klocke_at_mn.rr.com>
Date: Sat Aug 28 17:10:01 2004

Hi Allison.

I am impressed that you are this far ahead with your daughter at such an early age. I didn't find out about SVS until my son was about 4, and I didn't ever get to put him in such a school (although we did a homeschool group based on the model).

It seems to me that thinking about "educating" an infant or toddler is a little dangerous. It implies active intervention, or planning. In these days of baby flashcards it's probably even harder to resist intervening than it was when my son was little 20 years ago.

To me one thing SVS has meant is struggling NOT to "educate". Babies and toddlers have their own intrinsic "curricula" (learning language, standing, walking, coping with frustration, etc.), which they are perfectly capable of proceeding through with little or no intervention at all. So in addition to any of the books above, I'd recommend books on dealing with one's own adult frustration and issues with leaving children to work out their own difficulties. Any books on processing your own issues are helpful too. My favorite in that vein is "At the Speed of Life" By Gay and Kathleen Hendricks or books on recovery from codependence. When we live through our children, expecting them to make us happy or prove what good people we are instead of letting them live their own lives, we are being codependent.

Peace,
Karen Locke