Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Philosophy (was Paradigms)

From: Ann Ide <ann.ide_at_rcn.com>
Date: Mon Jul 26 10:04:00 2004

That's the conventional paradigm, all right. So, how can we address those
concerns without challenging them in such a way that it only brings out
defenses ? What examples and information do we know to counterpoint ? Do
we have "successful" graduates ? It would be really helpful to be able to
share those stories. Do we have different statistics ? The more informed
we are the better we'll be able to educate others effectively.; don't you
think?

Who do people think are responsible for development of social skills,
critical thinking skills, communication skills, creativity, self motivation
and responsibility, ability to work independently and with teams......?
It takes more than academics and good character to succeed in the world.
How about we get people thinking about the importance of these traits and
how it is lacking in public schools and nurtured in Sudbury models ?
Actually, I recall our old public school even having curriculum for
character develpment and some of the skills I mentioned. But they would
"teach" them so artificially ! They had kids sitting around in a circle
being asked questions or put through exercises totally bored. You can't
schedule training for these things into a 1/2 hour slot once a week !

It's so interesting to watch the difference between my sons' play with SVS
vs. public school friends. With their public school friends, I see they
have one or two things they have in common that they like to do together.
When they tire of that, they start with the "What do you want to do? " " I
don't know. What do you want to do?" And it falls apart. I never see
that with their SVS friends. There is always a beautiful flow of
conversation and/or activity. They could just go on forever; as they often
do with ongoing "sleepovers". Have others seen this ? Oh, and another thing
that really bugs me ! In our area, public school kids schedule "playdates"
and they only have one friend over at a time so it will "work" ! AH
!!!!!!!!! If Jesse calls his friend and s/he already has a friend over,
s/he actually says he can't come over. How pathetic. With SVS friends, the
more the merrier. I can just see these kids as adults in the workplace,
waiting to be told what to do ( and hoping it's not much ); or in a meeting,
going "What should we do? " " I don't know. What do you think?" And will
they be allowed to only work with one person at at time ??? Someone should
make a movie showing the crossover from public school behaviors and
activities into the typical, inefffective workplace.

Ann

( How's that, Carol ? I used a story ! :) )