Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Philosophy (was Paradigms)

From: Sally Rosloff <sallyr_at_socal.rr.com>
Date: Sun Jul 25 16:22:00 2004

Carol wrote:
"When did college become the one and only indicator of a successful
education? It is as though schools exist to feed consumers into other
schools, and how many of the graduates become part of this system of
creating more and more students? People almost never ask what kind of human
being your child is. Just, what grade are they in, and where did they go to
college. How silly this is. In your last 25 or 30 exchanges with adults,
how many of them talked about college or what their degree is in? When do
we get to the real stuff? How confident, competent, compassionate and
productive are you? That's what I want to know. "

"What are Schools For? Holistic Education in American Culture" is a great
book by Ron Miller that traces the history of education in this
country. It provides great information and context for how we've gotten to
where we are today, including the emphasis on a college education and on
education as memorizing and feeding back and doing what you're told.

Some answers out there that I've noticed to your questions above:

College means the best chance at a good job and material success and
therefore happiness, and parents want to see their kids happy. Parents
hear statistics all the time on the more education (meaning the more
degrees), the more money you make.

The parents job is to raise their children to be responsible adults, which
is accomplished by making sure they follow all the rules of the traditional
system.

The school's job is to teach academics, leave character development
(compassion, cooperation, kindness, thoughtfulness, confidence, etc.) to
me, the parent.

To be successful (earn a good living) you need skills and training which
you get through being taught in school and college.

People do not ask what kind of human being your child is because that is
seen as outside the job of schools, that is something developed in the home
and church and community, etc. and at school only as a byproduct of
extracurricular activities if at all. Different groups have different
ideas about how human beings should be but may agree on what teaching
academics is.

All of the above are in line with the discussion on paradigms because these
answers arise from one paradigm while our answers arise from another. That
is why Ron Miller talks about need for transformation rather than reform.

Sally