[Discuss-sudbury-model] Communicating SVS Philosophy

From: Carol Hughes <hughes0005_at_comcast.net>
Date: Sat Jul 24 11:39:00 2004

Hi Ann,
I'm not sure that overviews and philosophical discussions sink in better
than real-life stories. I remember two very clear moments in time when my
boys were using watercolors and painting and spending hours "playing" and
suddenly started sprouting times tables. We have a french door with 5 rows
of three panes. My son sat there dreamily looking at them and announced
that three times five was fifteen. Another just began reciting his twelves
tables seemingly out from thin air. That kind of stuff is so fun to watch.
I saw this fun program on WGBH where it was demonstrated that one can
designate musical notes on a graph that follow the pattern of a healthy
heart's EKG chart. The music sounded a lot like Bach to me. The unhealthy
heart's EKG produced a smaller range of notes. It is this very rhythm that
our bodies have that runs through every thought and motion. I have always
been struck by the importance of time to assimilate, time to experience, and
time to explore. Nothing exhausts me more than to have day after day of
input, input, input. I used to look at the faces of children leaving a
traditional school for the day. They become more animated as the minutes
pass AFTER school. This was my "report card" at SVS. My children came home
and went right on learning, creating, doing, laughing, planning. Now that
they are grown they are still doing all of that. How sweet it is.
Carol