Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Paradigms

From: Ann Ide <ann.ide_at_rcn.com>
Date: Sat Jul 24 10:14:00 2004

Ah, what memories. My kids were always much more interested in making a
story out of a game. In fact, we still rarely play by the rules, and they
are now 10 and 14 ! However, we do all have to be in agreement as to how we
will play/ change the game. I know this goes on at Sudbury Valley all the
time; and,personally, I think that's far more valuable than playing a game
by a set of standard rules all the time (unless you choose to do so to
develop mastery ). It's great preparation for life and much more fun !

Back to changing paradigms..... I guess Don must have said it more clearly;
but I was trying to say the same thing. I also think it would be helpful to
put less focus on the process of how kids learn at Sudbury Valley; and to
talk more about the underlying beliefs of the philosophy. Even freedom is
one of the means to fulfilling what we believe is important for our kids.
( What we believe about our kids is important, too, in terms of how it's
possible to trust them to learn what they need.) It's tricky to distinguish
them apart; because we say we believe in freedom and the kids' rights to
choose, etc. Yes, we believe in childrens' rights; but even deeper than
that, why do we send our children to free schools ? What kinds of adults do
we hope they will be able to develop into by having their freedom ?

Seems when we talk about how the kids can do whatever they want, it is a
huge distraction from talking about what else is really important. People
need to understand why it makes sense first, don't you think ? ( I did.)
When we slur them together, it's too much. We humans seem to have this
need that things make sense and have some sense of order that we understand.
Beliefs provide that underlying, often unconcious stucture; hence why they
are so hard to change ( at least, this is my belief ! ). In order to change
a belief, it needs to take care of that same need and take care of what is
important to the person.

Danny has written about what skills are needed to be prepared as an
effective adult in the 21st century. I think we could do more and more of
that kind of talk. And what is an effective adult ? How about that one ?
Most parents want their children to be effective and prepared; in fact they
seem to live in fear that if they don't have a certain education they won't
be those things. They just misunderstand what the standards are; and they
think that gathering knowledge is the key; and they trust the government and
history that tells them so. John Gatto is good at debunking that.

Yea, it is still going to be hard. There are so many issues to deal with.
However, it has been my experience that if someone is at all unhappy with
what is, and open to talk about it; that taking this approach at least
creates an opening for continuing discussions.

Ann Ide