[Discuss-sudbury-model] Newspaper Article Mountain Laurel Sudbury School

From: Carol Hughes <hughes0005_at_comcast.net>
Date: Mon Jul 12 14:30:00 2004

Is it just me or does every single article about Sudbury schools sound the
same? The limitation time and time again is that the interview is most
likely the journalist's first and only exposure to alternative educational
views.

The number one comment is always "there are no tests, grades or homework".
Just kinda bugs me that the first thing stated is what they don't do at
Sudbury Schools. Here's my suggested line instead. All learning and growth
is student-driven. Values placed on knowledge are in the student's own
mind. All the relationships among student and staff are relied upon for
feedback on the fulfillment of a chosen path of learning. The students are
keenly aware of each other's activities and areas of interest.

Predictable comment number two, "no teachers, formal classes or a
 curriculum". Egads did the word shepherd really appear in this paper
without the editor throwing it out?

"Students are guided by staff members who shepherd them toward resources and
information." In truth, everyone is a "teacher" at a Sudbury school. Just
my opinion.

Comment number three "lack of structure". Well, yeah, lack of the structure
you remember and know about, but there is definitely a structure of a
different kind.

Then of course we have the "expert" who has his doubts about this sort of
school for everyone. "experts question their effectiveness for all students"
Pulllleeze. Can we talk, as Joan Rivers would say, about the effectiveness
of traditional schools?

Okay, so is this about home-schooling in this journalist's eyes? Perhaps
since the enrollment is so small at this school we can over-look this one.
A Sudbury school is definitely NOT a home-school.

"On any given day, you're as likely to see them climbing trees as reading
books." Now there ya go, we're really "getting" the Sudbury concept now.

"Students shoulder the ultimate responsibility for acquiring the knowledge
needed to reach their goals." How successful these students are depends on
the child and his or her family, said noted author and educator Theodore
Sizer. Those who fare best are instinctively curious, stubborn and highly
self-motivated. Hmmmmmmmm, am wondering how this is different from any
school, students, family, er ah life.

"There are some kids who will simply drift and flounder," Having been to a
private fundamentalist high school, I can assure you that drifting and
floundering is a normal state for many young people. Say who is this Sizer
and how much time has he spent at a Sudbury school?

"despite the lack of direct supervision." Tain't so, this lack of
supervision. Oh well, if you can't see it you can't see it.

"Ultimately it comes down to the individual and how well they apply
themselves." Now there's a radical idea.
Okay, I fell better now,
Carol Hughes