RE: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Is there such a thing as a semi-democratic school ?

From: Alan Klein <alan_at_klein.net>
Date: Sun Jun 20 11:55:01 2004

Dan,

Thanks for the response and your offer. This is all information I
already knew. I have had a copy of the SVS By-Laws for almost 20 years.

You make a good point that the Assembly IS the school. From a day-to-day
POV, of course, I think a lot of us see the SM as the school. And, as
you note, by amending the By-Laws, the Assembly could decide to hire a
"school director who can hire and fire staff, or make budgetary
decisions (while the 'other decisions' are made by a general meeting)".
And so we are still left with somewhat of a "sliding scale" of
democracy, which is simply a recognition of reality and of our various
interpretations of the term.

~Alan Klein