Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Is there such a thing as a semi-democratic school ?

From: <Dannyasher_at_aol.com>
Date: Sun Jun 20 11:42:01 2004

In a message dated 6/20/2004 11:15:58 AM Eastern Standard Time,
alan_at_klein.net writes:

You raise an interesting question for me when you say, “Nor is it, in my
opinion, a democracy if there exists, outside or any accountable agency that is
democratically set up, an authority that can make decisions for the entity
involved.” It is my experience and understanding that the Assembly at SVS and
other Sudbury schools was not created by vote of the School Meeting. Isn’t
this an example of such an outside or accountable agency which is outside of
the SM that can make such decisions?

Alan, the Assembly is the democratic school. It consists of parents,
students, staff, trustees, and public members. It created teh bylaws and can amend
them. If youwould like a copy of our handbook that describes this, send me
your snail mail address and i'll mail you one. The schoolmeeting was set up
by teh Assembly in teh bylaws, and has powers given to it under the bylaws
(in a nutshell, running the school with a free hand on a day to day basis,
subject to the bylaws).
dan