RE: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Is there such a thing as a semi-democratic school ?

From: Alan Klein <alan_at_klein.net>
Date: Sun Jun 20 10:32:00 2004

Brian,

You have provided us with an excellent set of vignettes that share the
wonder that is a democratically run school well.

You also prove Jerry's point that there is nothing that is 100%
democratic:
* You refer to some things that need to be approved by the
Assembly, which means that the SM does not have 100% control.
* You mention that YOU didn't have to say "You can not make that
motion", which implies that there are some motions that are outside the
bounds of what the SM can do.

That said, I think we are all in what some call "violent agreement"! Our
schools are truly places at which all members can exercise their
democratic rights and responsibilities. However, since we are all
embedded into a larger system, there are some ways in which our
democracy is curtailed. This is not a put-down of our schools, it is
simply a bow to reality.

In addition, what I take from Jerry's assertion is that sometimes we
waste a lot of time bickering with each other and with potential allies
by engaging in pissing contests over whose democracy is "democraciest"
and whose democracy is really un-democratic.

~Alan Klein