Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] R rated stuff, etc.

From: <Dannyasher_at_aol.com>
Date: Fri May 14 21:08:01 2004

I can't believe how this subject keeps coming up, despite being addressed
eloquently each time it appears (this time included). Nine lives, I guess.

At some point, I can't remember when, someone (I wish I could acknowledge the
person by name) mentioned the book, "Killing Monsters: Why children NEED
fantasy, super heroes, and make believe violence" by Gerard Jones. By
coincidence, I am reading it now, and it is by far the finest, most comprehensive (one is
tempted to say "definitive") exposition on the subject, from every
conceivable angle, with lots of research data (including critiques of certain allegedly
scientific studies) and anecdotal material. It is well written, and can
calmly recommended to any person who wants to delve into the subject.

It's a shame to keep reinventing the wheel. If this subject really interests
you, I urge you to get hold of the book.

Dan Greenberg
Sudbury Valley School