Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Fairhaven, "R" rating

From: Mr Richard Berlin <roofpig_95008_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri May 14 07:52:00 2004

> But it has been my experience that 5,
> 6, and 7 year olds are
> not little adults in their emotional maturity and
> ability to understand and
> process. In all the books that I have been reading,
> Sudbury and other
> related ones, I haven't seen much about
> developmental stages.

Daniel Greenberg's book on childrearing does talk
about developmental stages, but he only goes about
as far as age four. I shouldn't speak for him...but
he seems to consider that to be the "magic age" at
which language and cognition are fully developed.
beyond that he considers the difference between
ages to be primarily attributable to experience.

My child is just approaching four...and I have to
say, I see the truth in what Daniel is saying.

I'm sure someone with direct experience will answer
soon, but I'll add one thought now: the mechanism I
have witnessed--at our local Sudbury school--for
deciding whether individuals should be allowed to
do things is a "certification" process. For example,
anyone can cook with a sharp knife, once they have
passed a test which demostrates that they have
the requisite skill to use it safely.

This is an ingenious solution to a wide range of
issues. (It seems to accomodate developmental
differences in a much fairer way than simple
age limits, for example.) So my question is:
could you imagine a reasonable, measurable
and non-ageist set of guidelines for deciding
who can and can't handle "R" rated content?

If so, what are they? And if not, why not?

-- Rich