[Discuss-sudbury-model] U.S. Conference of Democratic Workplaces

From: Abram Karl-Gruswitz <boyfromthefuture_at_fastmail.fm>
Date: Thu May 13 22:59:00 2004

Hello,

It would be great if we could get democratic schools represented in this
proposed Federation of Workplace Democracies. The webpage is
www.usworker.coop. I also think it would be amazing to start a
Federation for Democratic Education.

Peace,

Abe Karl-Gruswitz

U.S. Conference of Democratic Workplaces

May 2426, 2004

Hubert H. Humphrey Institute of Public Affairs
University of Minnesota
301 19th Avenue South
Minneapolis, Minnesota

The U.S. Conference of Democratic Workplaces marks a milestone in the
movement toward economic democracy in the United States. Not only is the
U.S. movement becoming more connected and self-aware, but it is joining
the much larger global movement of democratic workplaces. Join us and
help shape a better life for ourselves, our nation, and the world.

Founding the Federation

The conference will be the founding event of the U.S. Federation of
Democratic Workplaces. We will be deciding the shape and function of the
Federation, including its name, governance, services, fee structure,
membership requirements, and how it will relate to other organizations.
You can be a part of the pre-conference discussion of these topics.

Keynote

Our opening keynote session will include reports on regional democratic
workplace organizers from around the U.S. as well as international
representatives who will inform us about about the global movement we are
joining.

Workshops

Conference workshops will allow us to share the knowledge and skills that
help us sustain our workplaces, and to discuss broader issues relevant to
the movement. Click here to view workshop details.

Location

The conference will take place at the Hubert H. Humphrey Institute of
Public Affairs (301 19th Avenue South) at the University of Minnesota in
Minneapolis. The Humphrey Institute is located on the West Bank campus,
just minutes from several worker cooperatives. Click here for map and
directions.

Housing is available at Riverbend Commons, across the walking bridge over
the Mississippi River on the East Bank campus. Some additional free
housing is also available at some housing co-ops and private homes.

During the conference, participants will be able to go on tours to
several of Minneapolis' democratic workplaces.

Schedule

Check-in for the conference will be on the afternoon on Monday, May 24,
2004, and the conference will run until mid-afternoon on Wednesday, May
26, 2004. Click here to view the full schedule.

Cost

The basic registration is $160, which includes all six meals during the
conference (dinner on Monday, all three meals Tuesday, breakfast and
lunch Wednesday).

Housing at Riverside Commons is $90 total for Monday and Tuesday nights.
Some additional free housing is also available at some housing co-ops and
private homes. Inquire at info_at_usworker.coop if you are interested in
this option.

Funding for scholarships is currently being sought. Write to
info_at_usworker.coop to request full or partial funding.

--
  Abram Karl-Gruswitz
  boyfromthefuture_at_fastmail.fm