[Discuss-sudbury-model] Fairhaven, "R" rating

From: Sally Rosloff <sallyr_at_socal.rr.com>
Date: Thu May 13 19:47:01 2004

I just read the article in Education Week about Fairhaven. What did you
all think of it? Was the part about anyone being able to watch R rated
movies and play any video game correct? If so, I'm curious about the
thinking behind it being okay for the youngest children to watch violent
and graphically disturbing images.

 From all the reading and thinking I've been doing, I have come to
understand and agree with the idea that everyone, regardless of age, has a
vote and can participate in running the school and also that everyone, no
matter how young, can be in touch with and follow their interests, desires,
and passion. But it has been my experience that 5, 6, and 7 year olds are
not little adults in their emotional maturity and ability to understand and
process. In all the books that I have been reading, Sudbury and other
related ones, I haven't seen much about developmental stages. I know there
is not as much a need to be concerned with them since each individual
follows their own time line but it still seems to me that there are in fact
stages around cognitive development and moving into more abstract
understanding. So, I'm interested in the thinking about this for Sudbury
schools.

Thanks.
Sally