Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] accessibility and affordability

From: <JerryAERO_at_aol.com>
Date: Wed Apr 21 12:57:00 2004

In a message dated 4/21/04 9:50:52 AM, vicki_at_parnell.ca writes:

<< Hi everyone

I haven't posted before so here's a quick introduction before I ask my
question. My
name is Vicki and I have an eight year old currently enrolled in a school
that could
be described as "based on the Sudbury model".

Anyway, here is my question.. The school my child is enrolled in has a "pay
what
you can" policy and no family is turned away if they can't pay full tuition.
This has
made it possible for families of all income levels to take advantage of this
educational approach. In reality the school is experiencing severe financial
strain at
the moment due to not bringing in enough tuition income to meet basic
expenses.
The only other option seems to be to insist that all families pay the full
tuition rate,
as other private schools in the area do. However, this would mean turning
some
kids away who could really benefit from the Sudbury model. (Heck, what kid
couldn't???)

I'm wondering how other Sudbury model schools have approached this issue. Is
there a "happy medium"? For schools who have chosen not to turn away lower
income families is there a way to make this work while still bringing in
enough
money to run the school?

Thanks,

Vicki
vicki_at_parnell.ca >>

Vicki, I can't say what other Sudbury schools have done about this, but I
know of many alternative schools in our network which have found innovative means
of support. The Albany Free School bought row houses at auction, fixed them
up, and the income from them supports their school. Clonlara in Michigan set up
a homeschool program which supports their school. Highland School in WV got
people to donate old gas and oil wells.

Many schools have successful raffles and auctions. One school brings in
$40,000 with an art auction. At my school a graduate started a bingo which raised
over $100,000.

Jerry Mintz
AERO
www.educationrevolution.org